The Government of India, Ministry of Defence awarded Tata Power SED in 2006, seven Defence Production Licenses, thereby empowering the Division to design, develop, manufacture, assemble and upgrade mission critical systems in seven core areas of Defence Strategic Electronics.
These Production Licenses open a vast domestic addressable market, which include upgrades of existing Weapon systems and platforms. Additionally, business opportunities through ‘Offsets’ for Systems Design, Engineering and Testing Services will also be targeted by the Division, thus opening up the export market.
The seven Defence Production Licenses received are:
- Electronic Warfare Systems (Stand-alone & integrated) for Army, Navy, Air Force, Para-military and Inland Security
- State-of-the-art Network-Centric Warfare Enablers, including Tactical and Strategic Communication systems GPS-based Navigation & Tracking and GIS systems.
- Avionics, Airborne assemblies, Systems and Equipment for Aircrafts, Helicopters & AWACS including development of UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) and UVs (Unmanned Vehicles) of all types.
- Air Defence / Naval guns, Field Artillery, Tanks, Combat Vehicles, Anti-Tank Weapons systems, Mortar, Shell, missiles, rockets etc., and any associated systems.
- Naval Combat, Air Defence, Artillery, Command & Control Systems, Border Security and Surveillance, including sensors such as Radars, Sonar, Thermal Imaging, Radiography, Optronics and Night Vision sub-systems.
- MIL (Military Grade) products such as Display Consoles, Rugged Computers, Workstations Servers, On-board Computers, GPS Receivers, Printers, Documents / Bio-metric Security Systems etc.
- Weapon Systems – Rocket and Missile Launchers, for Ground and Naval applications including associated systems and sub-systems, including inertial and GPS based navigation and tracking systems.